Obtaining an Invitation Letter for attending IGARSS 2009
IGARSS 2009 will provide official letters of invitation to persons who have fully registered for the conference and for which payment has been received. Note that per IEEE Policy, only registered, paid persons may receive an invitation letter to the conference.
If you have registered, you may proceed to the Invitation Letter Request form.
Visa Requirements for South Africa
Note: The following information is from the South African Department of Home Affairs website.
Any queries relating to visas are handled by the South African missions or representative office in your country or the nearest one situated to you.
Visas are considered by the South African missions abroad and must be affixed in the applicants' passports before departing to the RSA. Visas are not issued on arrival at South African ports of entry. Applicants arriving without visas will be refused entry into the RSA and placed on return flights in terms of legislation.
For more information, please select a topic below:
- Visa requirements (what to submit)
- Where to apply for a South African visa
- To find out if you require a visa and/or pay South African visa tariffs, please see the list of countries exempt from visa control
Visa requirements (what to submit)
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of the intended visit.
- Passports must contain at least 1 (one) unused page for entry/departure endorsements (sometimes referred to as visa page).
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM IGARSS 2009: We recommend that the passports of all travelers to South Africa contain at least two completely blank (unstamped) visa pages each time entry is sought. These pages are in addition to the endorsement/amendment pages (as many as four) at the back of the passport. While South African statutes require only one completely blank visa page, this rule has been applied inconsistently by South African immigration officials. In addition, any trip to a neighboring country would necessitate another blank page upon return. Travelers lacking adequate blank pages in the passport may be refused entry into South Africa, fined, and returned to their point of origin at the traveler’s expense. South African authorities have denied diplomatic missions access to assist in these cases. As a general precaution, all travelers are advised to carry a photocopy of the photo/bio information page of their passport and keep it in a location separate from the passport.
- Payment of the prescribed fee, if applicable (see Countries exempt from visa control).
- A vaccination certificate, if required by the Act.
- Statement and/or documentation confirming purpose and duration of visit.
- Two (2) identity photographs.
- Proof of financial means in the form of:
- bank statements;
- salary advices;
- undertaking(s) by the host(s) in the Republic;
- medical cover;
- or cash available, including credit cards or travellers' cheques
- Applicants traveling by air must be in possession of:
- a return or onward ticket; or
- proof of sufficient funds; or
- lodge a cash deposit of equivalent value to such a ticket.
NOTE: You do not have to submit your application for a visa in person. Please see the answer to Frequently Asked Question 7 for more information.
Where to apply for a South African visa
- At the South African diplomatic or consular representative in the applicant's country of normal residence, which includes permanent residence and long-term temporary residence.
- At the South African diplomatic or consular representative in the country of which the applicant validly holds a valid passport.
- At the designated South African diplomatic or consular representative when a mission is not present in the applicant's country of residence.
Applications lodged at a place other than the above may be referred by the consular officer to the above offices which will imply a longer processing time.
- Visas CANNOT be applied for at South African ports of entry.